1892 Bishop's Palace
1402 Broadway | Galveston, TX 77550
The Bishop's Palace (also known as Gresham House) is a National Historic Landmark which has been listed by the American Institute of Architects as one of the 100 most significant buildings in the United States and classified by the Library of Congress as one of the fourteen most representative Victorian structures in the nation.
The house was built between 1887 and 1892 by Galveston's premier Victorian-era architect Nicholas J. Clayton for attorney / entrepreneur / politician Colonel Walter Gresham (along with his wife Josephine and their nine children). The mansion is comprised of stone, and thus withstood the great hurricane of 1900 allowing the Greshams to host hundreds of hurricane survivors in their home.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Galveston purchased the home in 1923, and it served as the residence for Bishop Christopher E. Byrne for some time before the diocesan offices were moved to Houston and the mansion was opened to the public. The Galveston Historical Foundation now provides self-guided tours (featuring audio commentary via hand-held Acoustiguide devices) of this spectacular residence which is dubbed one of the "Broadway beauties."